View Single Post
Old 12-22-2015, 03:00 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Default Ketamine Infusion Update

Good Afternoon,

I am home from my Ketamine Infusion. I was discharged after 7 days (5 full days at the therapeutic dose of Ketamine). I have to say the infusion was nothing like I thought it would be. I fortunately had little side effects other than being nauseous sometimes and had pretty colors flowing behind eyelids when closing my eyes. I went in with pain an 8 (I live at an 8-10) and with the Ketamine, my pain decreased to the minimum of a 2. I still had spikes with the pain and every day was different. Some days I was feeling great and other days I was in tears.

I was able to do PT while the infusion was happening. Everyday the PT came to my room and we would walk in the hallway or do mobility exercises in the bed. I even had a foot pedal bike by my bed the last 2 days. My pain would always spike with PT but I got stronger while in the hospital.

I was coherent about 90% of the time and never had hallucinations. It was definitely an experience and I felt that they should have had a Pain Psychologist to do rounds for Ketamine patients as it was very emotional.

Another perk I found from the infusion is that my depression is better. (Ketamine is also used as a treatment for depression). I feel like Ketamine lightened the load for me bringing me out from under my pain and burden of being chronically ill. I feel like the world is a "brighter/sunnier" place since having the infusion.

Coming home I am extremely exhausted. I take about 3 naps a day. My pain coming home was about a 3 to a 4 and has spiked up to a 7 at times. This morning My pain was a 2 and now it is about a 7. (Feeling that Tourniquet feeling on my left leg and my leg is not getting enough circulation).

When I am feeling less tired I am going to write a post on preparing for an inpatient infusion because I felt that I wasn't prepared emotionally or even with stuff to do in the hospital. My dr told me, not to celebrate the highs or mourn the lows as each day will be different. He says the pain will spike and then will gradually even out over the next week.

I feel hopeful that this will work for me as I have seen a huge change. I was hoping that I would 100% feel better and have my life back but now I know that was just unrealistic. I am excited that I can now get up the stairs without crawling and I am celebrating the little things.
Inspiretoday is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
BioBased (12-22-2015), birchlake (12-22-2015), bulldawg95 (12-30-2015), calimama (05-23-2019), Littlepaw (12-22-2015), mama mac (12-22-2015), PurpleFoot721 (12-22-2015), visioniosiv (12-22-2015)