View Single Post
Old 12-22-2015, 08:09 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepaw View Post
Hi Sam,

It is very frustrating when one wants answers to health concerns and can't find them. That said, I am not sorry to hear that your tests were normal. Having a whacked out endocrine system is no walk in the park and can have serious lifelong consequences. It's good news that your tests came back okay.

I will give my two cents, not being a medical expert of course, but having worked in healthcare (medical and mental) for many years.

There is a lot of overlap of symptoms between PCS and depression/anxiety. Many of the symptoms are identical. Trouble concentrating, sadness, disconnection, depersonalization, anxiety, trouble sleeping etc. can result from a concussion or worsen because of it. Or they can exist as a result of depression alone. There may have been pre-existing tendencies that got triggered. The stress of worrying about your health and dealing with high school may have contributed to the whole picture.

It may not matter where the symptoms are coming from, you are having to deal with them. If obvious answers aren't forthcoming and everything major has been ruled out then move on to treatment. Your pediatrician may be on track. It is worth pursuing his/her recommendations for the symptoms that are plaguing you.

Treatment for PCS and depression/anxiety have similar paths. Cognitive Behavioral Therapy is recommended for both. Medication can be helpful for both. Although with PCS med side effects may be more pronounced and during adolescence antidepressants can sometimes worsen symptoms so Meds should always be approached with caution and taken at the lowest effective dose.

No matter what is going on, you need support. Working with a therapist would give you this regardless of the cause of your symptoms. You will learn coping skills and cognitive approaches to stress that you can use for the rest of your life. Cognitive therapy is very concrete, not overly touchy-feely and tends to get a pretty rapid response. Your condition is treatable and there is hope. PCS appears to have largely positive outcomes. And we know depression is responsive to treatment most of the time.

Go ahead and get that help your pediatrician is recommending and know that both PCS and the stress of adolescence resolve with time.

Sending healing vibes,

I cannot thank you enough for this post Littlepaw. Thank you so much, and thank you Lara and Dave.

So where do you think I should start? You perfectly worded whats going on and what I can do about, but I'm not quite sure where to start. Should I go to my pediatrician and have him recommend me to a therapist? Or is there a certain therapist I should be going to that will be knowledgeable of depersonalization?

I'm very eager to get started. This makes perfect sense. Depression/Anxiety is overlapping with my PCS symptoms, making it so they cannot fade away.

But I have not been treating my concussion ever since I thought an hormonal imbalance was going on. So does this mean I should stay away from stimulant and such?

Once again, thank you
SamG11 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
barbo (12-24-2015), eva5667faliure (01-03-2016), Lara (12-22-2015), OhKay (12-23-2015), Wren (12-22-2015)