View Single Post
Old 12-23-2015, 08:58 AM
Elder

10 yr Member
Elder

10 yr Member

I think you're amazing Sam

I'm so happy that you are taking Littlepaw's excellent advice! The tone of your last post seems much more positive... I think that this is the start of much better things for you

You should follow up with your doctor and let him know the path you've chosen to take. Most insurance companies require a referral from your PCP in order to receive mental health services anyway. Some doctors know of good MH practitioners in their networks, and some do not.

I would start off with an appointment with a psychiatrist or MH NP first because I think getting your diagnosis right going forward is important. In my area, most patients see NPs rather than psychiatrists. They have the same ability to diagnose and prescribe. They can also refer you to a therapist.

When I started out, I called a local practice (therapists+prescribers), let them know what kind of insurance I had, told them I needed meds and therapy, and was assigned to a MH NP for diagnosis and a medication plan. This made getting started super-easy for me. I like having my NP and therapist in the same office because they can communicate with one another very easily. Some people choose to go to independent providers instead.

You can search your insurance company's website or give them a call, too. In some areas (like mine), the mental health care system is overburdened, so you may have to make a couple of calls to find a provider who is accepting new patients. Please don't get discouraged.

One thing to consider before you request a therapist is gender. Some people find it easier to talk to someone of one gender better than the other if they have the option. In my experience, there seems to be more female therapists than male though.

Sometimes it's not easy to start out, especially in therapy. It may take some time before you feel comfortable, but it's important to hang in there and give things a chance. That being said, you aren't tied to these people. If you have a hard time connecting with your therapist, or you have an issue with the way your care is being delivered, you can always change providers.

I'll be wishing for only good things for you Sam

Kay

p.s. I'm vitamin D deficient too. Vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol) is more easily absorbed in the body than the more common D2 form. I take 5,000iu of D3 three times a week.
OhKay is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Alffe (01-01-2016), barbo (12-24-2015), bizi (01-04-2016), EnglishDave (12-23-2015), eva5667faliure (01-03-2016), Lara (12-23-2015), Littlepaw (12-23-2015), SamG11 (12-23-2015), Wren (12-23-2015)