Old 12-26-2015, 06:05 PM
Newly Joined

8 yr Member
Newly Joined

8 yr Member
Default Elevated B12 readings

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcu View Post
I'm curious if anyone has had any personal experience with elevated B12 readings from taking multivitamin supplementation (fortified with B12). I had some bloodwork results come back and my vitamin B12 readings were around 1500 (normal lab values: 200-1000). I had bloodwork done several months ago and my B12 readings were within range so I'm concerned that something is wrong. Liver/kidney function checks out fine. The only thing that has changed between the two tests is I started taking a multivitamin that has 135 mcg of VitB12. Is this enough of an amount of B12 to cause an elevated B12 reading to be that high?? Should I see a hematologist to rule out any other underlying diseases? I know there is nothing wrong with high B12 levels but everything I read about it shows that it is usually a symptom of an underlying disease (liver,leukemia,etc).
Hello, this is my first post and don't know if I'm replying in the right area. This is very new. I've also heard that elevated B12 could be something else, so get your doctor to check it out. I read a B12 book by Dr. David Brownstein and he said that the B12 that is floating around in the bloodstream can't really be tested and isn't important and can't be accurately measured either. The important thing is the B12 that is INSIDE THE CELL, IN THE MITOCHONDRIA, which does not show up on a blood test. I believe that is measured in a Urine test called Methylmalonic Acid (MMA) and the doctor said that his test is usually around 2,000.
Bonita Conchita is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote