View Single Post
Old 12-27-2015, 06:56 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharbear86 View Post
Hi all! As the title suggests, I am in extreme discomfort. I had my left bottom wisdom tooth removed 5 days ago, due to soft impaction and infection and have only been able to function with strong pain killers on board.

Obviously I expected some discomfort, but I can barely put my teeth together as the molar next to the extraction site is so painful. As soon as my top teeth come into contact with it, its excruciating. I've been doing my salt water rinses and brushing my teeth as normal, but I am yet to return to a normal diet as the pain is too intense.

I went to my gp on day 2 as the over the counter pain meds weren't working and was prescribed panadeine forte and voltaren (to help with inflammation) and a course of antibiotics. I thought it was getting better, but as soon as the pain meds start to wear off, I'm in agony again.

I do smoke, however I waited for 48 hours post extraction, and only took tiny little puffs after that, because I've experienced dry socket previously and it wasn't something I wanted to revisit. I'm freaking out that the tooth next to extraction site is damaged or something. I am constantly tense because of pain. Could this still be a dry socket? Even without biting there is a fair amount of constant pain and I'm at my breaking point. Please help!!
Hi Sharbear, I'm not qualified in any way apart from having a dry socket myself for the last two and a half weeks but it does sound to me as though that may be the case. I'm guessing the pain in the adjacent molar is referred pain. Have you tried Oil of Cloves or a Toothache first aid kit? Be very careful applying either not to get it on the gums and if using clove oil, dilute it first with coconut oil or similar. If it is dry socket (the amount of pain and timing of it really does suggest this) you need to get it packed by a dentist but my suggestions may help in the meantime. When my pain was at it's worst, topical relief like this helped more than painkillers. I used cotton buds to apply. Good luck!
shell4429 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote