View Single Post
Old 12-27-2015, 04:00 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Rick,

There is no real "common" sinus perforation. There are certain pre existing circumstances that can cause or result in a sinus perforation and having a root canal done in an upper tooth is one of them. The reason being is that the root may be perforated during the rc procedure which could also perforate a sinus membrane that is in close proximity of the root and/or the perforation of the root can allow bacteria to flow from the tooth into the sinus area. If the upper rc tooth also had an apicoectomy performed that could deteriorate the integrity of the bone protecting the sinus membrane leading to a sinus perf and/or infection. If the upper rc tooth was severely infected the bacteria can spread easily into the sinus area... etc.

Depending on the size and location of the sinus perforation as well as the resiliency or tenacity of the infection, the opening may take several weeks or longer to close. Yes, the infection needs to clear or mostly clear in order for the perf to close properly.

If the wound and the bone are not infected and healing well, then the best way to gauge if a sinus perf is closing is to be aware of the changes in the symptoms. Meaning are they increasing, decreasing, diminishing slowly....

Keeping your mouth open all the time is not ideal as this causes the oral tissue to dry out. You want the mouth to remain moist with saliva just as it should be. Drink enough filtered water throughout the day to the equivalent of half you body weight in ounces. Not only does this encourage salivary flow but it removes toxins and bacteria from the body, aids in keeping hydrated and encourages healing.

Your name... XFitRick... does this indicate that you exercise frequently? If so, is it extreme or considered strenuous like lifting or are you a runner, etc? I ask, because believe it or not certain forms of exercise should be curtailed during the post op phase of tooth extractions and also during any type of sinus infection. It has to do with elevating the heart rate and the correlation that has to the mouth and the sinus.

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by XFitRick View Post
I have a question, I had an extraction of a cracked root canal'd/crown tooth (top right before wisdom tooth) on 16 DEC and experienced the common sinus perforation.

I went in this Monday (21 DEC) and the oral surgeon put me on amoxicillin for the sinus infection I got at the extraction site. Today is 7 days since the extraction and I can still feel air pass through the sinus. I do my best not to irritate the area and let me tell you that is challenging (keep mouth open all the time, speak in a lower voice, cooling down my Starbucks so I can pour it opposed to sipping). On occasion I do something wrong and cause air to pass through the sinus (how I know this is still an issue today).

Is it normal to continue to have the sinus perforation now? I'm thinking maybe the sinus infection needed clearing up first?

Thank you for replying to everyone's inquiries!

-Rick

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote