View Single Post
Old 07-01-2007, 01:22 AM
In Memorium

15 yr Member
In Memorium

15 yr Member
Default ROxie

Hi - about the benadryl - be sure to call your doc if you cant take it orally - I've never heard of them not ordering it before in infusion - theres always a slight chance of allergic reaction with every infusion and its important to have - I know you can have it IV - I'm allergic to epiniephrine which of course is used for shock - so in my "shock" kit they send to my home they have IV benadryl as a backup (and I start out taking a 25 mg dose orally) and also theres a liquid form that can be taken.... also I tke tylenol instead of ibuprofren, which my doc originally ordered - to ward off headache - thats a standard pre-med and I'd ask your doc too....

Weakenes is a very common after affect for many - can last several days - and also slight fever - rather feels like the flu..... I usully get a fever at the beginning of an infusion and then it goes away.... people do get headahes, again, affects everyone differently - as will the rate of the infusion etc... takes a while to find what works best for you.... slowing an infusion can reduce side affects.....

They will want to start in the hospital to watch you closely - then if you move to home - which yes, is much less stress then going to an infusion center - its great.... insurance co-pays etc vary depending on plan, etc... (for expample, if you are on Medicare its paid in the hospital but at home the mediicine has to be convered under Medicare Plan D, etc... varies for all of us) (and yes, at least total cost at home for Medicare is less - $5,000 with the med vs $7,000 in the hosptial each treatment. Dont know how the separate the med cost in the hospital - but at home the med cost portion is about $2,000 - of course then your co-pays etc enter into play)

They put the IV where ever they can get a good vein - just up to you and the nurse and whatever works.....

BEGLET is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote