View Single Post
Old 12-27-2015, 06:59 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanna View Post
Hi Rick,

There is no real "common" sinus perforation. There are certain pre existing circumstances that can cause or result in a sinus perforation and having a root canal done in an upper tooth is one of them. The reason being is that the root may be perforated during the rc procedure which could also perforate a sinus membrane that is in close proximity of the root and/or the perforation of the root can allow bacteria to flow from the tooth into the sinus area. If the upper rc tooth also had an apicoectomy performed that could deteriorate the integrity of the bone protecting the sinus membrane leading to a sinus perf and/or infection. If the upper rc tooth was severely infected the bacteria can spread easily into the sinus area... etc.

Depending on the size and location of the sinus perforation as well as the resiliency or tenacity of the infection, the opening may take several weeks or longer to close. Yes, the infection needs to clear or mostly clear in order for the perf to close properly.

If the wound and the bone are not infected and healing well, then the best way to gauge if a sinus perf is closing is to be aware of the changes in the symptoms. Meaning are they increasing, decreasing, diminishing slowly....

Keeping your mouth open all the time is not ideal as this causes the oral tissue to dry out. You want the mouth to remain moist with saliva just as it should be. Drink enough filtered water throughout the day to the equivalent of half you body weight in ounces. Not only does this encourage salivary flow but it removes toxins and bacteria from the body, aids in keeping hydrated and encourages healing.

Your name... XFitRick... does this indicate that you exercise frequently? If so, is it extreme or considered strenuous like lifting or are you a runner, etc? I ask, because believe it or not certain forms of exercise should be curtailed during the post op phase of tooth extractions and also during any type of sinus infection. It has to do with elevating the heart rate and the correlation that has to the mouth and the sinus.

Bryanna
Yes Ma'am, I own/run a CrossFit gym here but have not worked out since the procedure. The OS who did my extraction is one of my gym members and set the workout restriction.

I feel the air flow is now harder and maybe even non-existent (I'm not going to test this, ha). Will step up the water consumption.

Like many others, we often jump on social media to find medical answers and panic when we can't find our specific issue, so again, thank you for the reply!

Happy holidays!

-Rick
XFitRick is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Lisamst (04-17-2020)