View Single Post
Old 12-28-2015, 09:21 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo*mar View Post
Feel free to use this thread to post your story of diagnosis, health history & treatments.
I'd spent most of a decade having "collapsing" spells where I would get dizzy and confused and fall down. I accepted that I was probably "fainting" for most of that, but after a few years it became very clear that I wasn't losing consciousness and that the main problem was muscle weakness. I looked for answers from a neurologist, especially as the collapses became more and more frequent and the muscle weakness became more pronounced and frequent.

I got a TDAP vaccination last April, and was too weak to walk for most of the following summer, spending my time in and out of a wheelchair. I went to a lot of doctors and got a lot of frustrating responses (I especially enjoyed being told it was all in my head by doctors who refused to do any sort of tests).

Eventually, it turned out I had two problems. My 'dizziness' was caused by cerebellum lesions (that appear to be old). I ALSO had Myasthenia Gravis, and my full collapses tended to happen when I was BOTH dizzy from my lesions and weak from MG. The fact that I had two issues made things even harder for the doctors to diagnose.

At this point I'm on Imuran (though it's too early to tell if it's helping) and Mestinon TR, and maybe 3/4 of all my days are manageable. I can walk, though I might limp or look really funny doing it. The remaining quarter of my days have me too weak to safely walk (or sometimes to even unsafely walk), and I use a wheelchair or a walker. Sometimes I can't see or talk or breathe or swallow right, but that tends to be relatively infrequent.
gtg287y is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote