View Single Post
Old 12-28-2015, 10:52 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Johnbull,

Thank you for answering those questions and sharing more of your dental history.

A few more if you don't mind...

Did the dentist take a 3D scan prior to doing any of this dentistry or is he working off of 2D dental xrays only?

Regarding the recent dental implant and crown in the adjacent area to the surgical site....
When was that tooth extracted? Had that tooth been root canaled or infected? Was there any sinus involvement with that tooth or the extraction of it? How long after the extraction was the dental implant put in? How long after the implant placement was the crown put on? Has it felt numb since the extraction or since the implant placement or since the crown was put on?

Regarding the the two teeth that were extracted 10+ years ago...
What was the reason they were removed?

When a tooth is extracted there is going to be some degree of bone loss as the tooth socket does not fill up with bone to it's original height. If nothing is put into that bone to hold the height of the bone, the level of bone will continue to decline as time goes on. If there was chronic long term infection in that area of bone from an infected tooth, then it creates an even more fragile situation.

Placing a bone graft in an area of healthy jaw bone where teeth have been removed 10 years prior is a risky undertaking because there is not much if any existing bone for the graft to integrate into. There are measures that can be taken to encourage the graft to be stable but the existing bone has to be healthy, the person has to be healthy and the surgery has to be impeccable for an optimal outcome.

Placing a bone graft in an area of unhealthy jaw bone under the same (above) circumstances has very little chance of success.

The history of the teeth that were extracted is pertinent because chronic, long standing tooth infections, either from root canaled teeth ... badly decayed teeth ... or injured or fractured teeth, are capable of causing unfavorable and sometimes resistant or even permanent changes to occur in the jaw bone. These changes can result in significant bone loss ... a bone disease called Osteonecrosis in which the body is unable to rebuild new bone due to a history of reduced blood flow in that area of the bone .... or a chronic bone infection referred to as Osteomyelitis in which the long standing infection from the tooth traveled to the bone and continues to reside there.

Anytime there is extended post operative complications.... pain, numbness, swelling, etc..... the root cause of those problems need to be sought to avoid further complications. Sometimes the pre operative history gives clues to what the problems may be.

Have you informed the dentist about the numb feeling with the dental implant? What is his response?

In the lower quadrant on this same side ... what is the health of the teeth that are biting against this crowned dental implant? Are those lower teeth restored with fillings or crowns?

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbull View Post
Bryanna,
Thank you!
I had the surgery done in Spain by a highly qualified German dentist, who holds an M.Sc master's degree in Implantology and Oral surgery, and leactures at the local university.
The teeth had been removed, many (over 10) years previously, and to my knowledge had not been root canaled or infected.
There was no mentions of sinus communication or perforation, and i have had no sinus discomfort or sinus infection.
I have had soreness and discomfort due I think to the loose granules, but currently also have an almost constant dull toothache like pain in the surgical upper jaw area. Also I have the dull pain in my forehead and in the back of my head on that side. Additionally right next to the area of surgery is a new (completed just before surgery) implant tooth with crown, that feels 'numb' all the time, I'm not sure if this is usual.
Could it be that the area is infected and causing the pain. I did have a course of penicillin after surgery, but maybe I need some more penicillin or an alternative?

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote