Thread: Hi guys!
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2006, 05:16 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Hi guys!

Well, here we all are again....

As a re-introduction, I'm Nicki. This post is similar to the one that Swift posted over at CN (nice post Swift!!), not for self indulgence, but just to let you know where I'm coming from and what I bring to the table both personally and professionally.

27 (and like Swift, wondering how long I can call myself "young")

Spastic Diplegic CP, with only minimal tone in upper body that doesn't impact function.

Using a wheelchair for almost all distances outside of the home, and walking inside.

Struggling with the usual issues related to CP and aging-- increased pain and fatigue, concern about what's to come, but leaning to take it in stride.

I recently relocated to Central Massachusetts from Michigan, to take a job as a health policy analyst-- specifically long term care (and especially issues surrounding nursing home transition and diversion). I can usually answer questions regarding Medicare, and some Medicaid questions if I have time to research your state. However, I prefer not to speak specifically about my work as much of it is tied to the state.

Recently, my biggest hurdle has been repetitive stress injury in all major joints of my right arm. Yes, they all crapped out at once-- wrist, elbow and shoulder. this happened because I bought a handcycle and "went to town" 20-30 miles a week without proper weight training ahead of time. I am rehabing agressively, and spending my weekends hibernating as both driving and wheelchair use agravates my pain. I am getting better, though, and am at about 75%. In response to all of this I've started using Dragon Naturally Speaking 9 voice dictation software, am getting power-assist wheels for my chair (E-Motions from Frank Mobility), and am actively exploring reduced effort steering for my car, but am reluctant to shell out the cash.

So, areas of expertise for me include: the aforementioned policy stuff, wheelchair and adaptive equipment, my own personal experience with aging and current CP research.

Like Swift, I'm here more as a resource, than as one who needs support. I lurk more than I post, though, mostly because I just get sick of talking about CP sometimes.

Take care all,

Nicki
NJenn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote