Thread: Startle Reflex
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2015, 09:06 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Kitty,

I ran across a MSAA publication quite some time ago, it was written in 2008. Not sure it will be helpful for you, but I thought it was interesting.

I have an exaggerated startle reflex but mine is due to PTSD and not related to MS.

Quote:
EXAGGERATED STARTLE RESPONSE (HYPEREKPLEXIA) IN MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS: REVIEW OF 30 PATIENT-REPORTED CASES
Exaggerated startle response or hyperekplexia (also known as hyperexplexia) is not recognized to be associated with multiple sclerosis (MS). The purpose of this report is to increase the awareness of this symptom in MS. Thirty-seven patients self-reported "startle response" after an inquiry in MSAA's "Ask the Doctor" column in The Motivator. Most cases of hyperekplexia in the medical literature are related to hereditary neonatal hyperekplexia and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). Hyperekplexia involves an overactive autonomic arousal, which creates difficulty discriminating and interpreting stimuli. The primary treatment reported in the literature has been clonazepam. No MS patients [responding to the survey] received clonazepam. Thirty of the 37 respondents completed the survey. Startle was usually precipitated by auditory (82 percent), visual (17 percent), tactile (six percent), or a combination of stimuli. The average age of onset of MS symptoms was 26 and the onset of startle was 35. Less than 20 percent of MS patients had startle before their MS, which suggests previous trauma (PTSD) is not related. Other data include: 67 percent have the relapsing-remitting form of MS; 93 percent reported multiple episodes per day; 90 percent have an exaggerated startle response at least once a week and half of these experience startling at least daily. Hyperekplexia was variously described as frightening, embarrassing, painful, dangerous (falling), and disruptive to personal and professional relationships. A total of 73 percent had not had discussions with any healthcare professional, and 17 percent reported that their doctors stated that startle might be related to MS, but had no therapeutic suggestions. In conclusion, hyperekplexia is an under-recognized but potentially treatable symptom of multiple sclerosis. Increased recognition and understanding will promote treatment options.

— Jack Burks, MD, Miriam Franco, MSW, PsyD, Andrea L. Griesé; Susan Wells Courtney; John J. Masino
http://www.mymsaa.org/publications/m...research-news/
Aarcyn (01-02-2016), Blessings2You (12-28-2015), Kitty (12-28-2015), SallyC (12-29-2015)