View Single Post
Old 12-29-2015, 01:43 AM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

jvh,

There are many reasons to have to give up a passion. I was a champion distance runner with my sights set on the 80 Olympics. My coach thought I had the talent. But, a knee injury and bad shoulders ended that. I had to give up flying. I loved it. I had my own high performance airplane. I was making good money. I had big plans. But, PCS meant that I needed to simplify my life or I would end up making both myself and those around me miserable.

But, I found new things to enjoy and even be passionate about. Life is full of opportunities. When we broaden our horizons, we often stumble over new passions.

My father had no interest in snow skiing. But, my brother and I did. He realized that if he wanted to spend time with us as we grew up, the ski hill was a good place. He applied himself to learning to ski at 45 years old and had to push himself to keep up. It became such a passion that he skied until he was 77 years old. He trained in the summer to be ready for winter.

I don't think we are defined as much by the things that we are good at but rather by the things that we are not good at that challenge us.

I could not change how my knee or my bursitic shoulders interrupted my ability to train.

I could not figure out why my brain was not working right when I was at altitude in my plane. I could not overcome the stresses of college to go on to dental school. Both are a result of too many concussions.

But, I moved on with my life, raised 3 kids and have been married for almost 36 years.

I'd give up many things I enjoy now or enjoyed in my past to just have a sound mind for the past 30 years.

So, please consider these issues carefully. The discipline that took you to where you are with martial arts can take to many more places.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote