Thread: Startle Reflex
View Single Post
Old 12-29-2015, 08:46 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I don't really have many ideas on it, other than it's something I've always had. I can't cook toast without popping it up myself or I spaz for a moment (jump and shriek like a bomb went off instead of a bagel). People speaking when I'm not expecting it from the side or from behind will cause a jump and the occasional swing, like some unknown assailant is asking me "What's up?" instead of a friend or family member.

Heaven forbid anything should touch me unexpectedly... to my body That Means WAR! And the little ball of lint better come prepared for a total smack down. My DH (still married me) came over one day while I was reading a book, I didn't hear him come in, didn't hear his combat boots thumping across the floor, didn't hear him call me... It was a realllllly good book... He grabbed my leg... I swear my head hit the ceiling as my other foot clocked him upside the head, had him on the floor with one hand choking him and the other ready to knock him out before I calmed down enough to realize it was him.

Sad thing is... I've never been in the military, or armed forces... Never been in any kind of life or death situation where someone was attacking me (aside from usual tussles with siblings) I hated jack-in-the-boxes from the very first one I ever encountered at age 1. And shrieked like a banshee and came up swinging from being touched unexpected straight out of the womb.

It's taken a lot of work to dull that side of me. I try very hard not to get wrapped up in books. To be aware of my surroundings and ready to run into people I'm acquainted with out in town. And obviously I have a jack-in-the-box ban at my house and always ensure my toasters have a cancel button. Still for the things you can't control, like a calendar falling off the wall. I shriek, and freak, and then just pretty much laugh at myself for it. So long as I don't attack anyone I figure it's a good heart health check on occasion.
Aarcyn (01-02-2016), Kitty (12-30-2015), SallyC (12-30-2015)