Newly Joined

8 yr Member
Newly Joined

8 yr Member
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi33 View Post
Hi onemanatatime

Welcome to NeuroTalk - I hope that you find the community as knowledgeable and supportive as I have.

Some thoughts:

I am sceptical about genetic testing (23andme, etc). Having a copy of the apoE4 gene does put you at increased risk of AD and the same applies to whatever else the tests may have showed. However, these are just risk factors - genetic determinism ("OMG, it is in my genes, I am doomed.") is a myth.

The various supplements that you are considering are all produced in your body from the food that you eat. Unless you have an underlying medical problem (your doctor can advise you about this) and unless you are not eating in a healthy way (a dietitian can help here), there is no need to eat those supplements.

All the best.

Thanks.

well first off all , not everyone can handle to much information about their health condition etc. But genetic testing do give you vital information regarding genetic predispositions. i have been eating clean for several years. paleo style, both high carb - low carb - high fat and vice versa which gave me pretty strange cholesterol readings from measuring consistently over time. So that made me switch to moderate fat. medium carb and protein. which then again along with the apoe gene variation kind of confirms one of the mechanisms that can be associated with having that gene variation.

On another hand, i get what you're saying when it comes too eating healthy its important , but what i strongly disagree with is that you get what you need from food regarding vitamins and minerals etc. for example if you have the MTHFR gene, you simply wont methylate as a normal person and that could potentially bring problems like high blood pressure . high homocysteine blood levels which again is a risk factor for cardiac issues.

In order to perfectly say that you get what you need of minerals and vitamins you would in my opinion

1. need to feel well
2. have your blood tested for vitamins - minerals in urine etc.
3. have a very wide diet variety and A LOT of vegetables, as evidence and research suggest the mineral and vitamin compositions have dropped a hole lot in food in general the last years . Not to get into the negative effects of accumulative pesticides in your body. giving your body potentially much more stressors, inflammation and heavy metals etc.

Once your body really hits rock bottom , if you add in the several factors mentioned above, and a lot of little stuff like chronic stress and other things, i think it's very ignorant to say that a healthy diet will provide your body with what it needs, as you don't know what that is, how much your getting and what you're really looking at informs of possible gene variations etc. anyways thats just my thoughts
onemanatatime is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
eva5667faliure (02-24-2016)