View Single Post
Old 01-01-2016, 03:30 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

The surgeon was Dr Richard Meyer in Birmingham, AL. He's part of the UAB system which is well respected in the Southeast. He performs multiple TOS surgeries yearly, I'm not sure about the average.

It was only the release, no rib or total removal. He stated that he performed conservatively at the time and now does the rib removal for all. Less repeat issues for patients.

Average pain a day post op was prob a 2 or 3 until I was diagnosed with Brachial Nueritis. The new issue has stopped me in my tracks, if I get up and move for about 20 to 30 mins I feel burning nerve pain above my collarbone. TOS is on my right side.

No expert PT in my area, I went through strengthening exercises in PT post op. Message therapy has helped and had electric stim in PT. Helped some.

Would someone like me benefit from a total scalenectomy? And why would some surgeons perform the total removal vs only the release? My surgeon only cut out scar tissue.

And how often do post op TOS patients experience Brachial Nueritis years later? I've never heard of anyone else experiencing it.

Thanks for responding...
Blackstar25 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote