View Single Post
Old 01-03-2016, 07:28 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Thank you Kiwi, your wife nailed it. I have told him I won't / can't stop him drinking, it must be his choice and I will support him on his path. I have told him I won't be going on our 7 night cruise come March if he hasn't got some sobriety behind him. That stung, he knows I mean it.

I went into this with my eyes open and my head and heart steeled. This is his journey and I / we know and accept there will be lapses, hopefully each lapse will get shorter as he begins to wrap his head around the learnings his psych team offer. It is as we know, day by day. Today he has 3 days sober, his mental health team are all back on board from tomorrow, fortunately I see a mental health team to help me deal with the traumas I have experienced both before marrying DB and those he has caused through his alcoholism.

DB doesn't get to see his team until next week. Today is being very dismissive and sarcastic of my going to tomorrow's group. Acting out... Not sure if planning on drinking tomorrow as its his day off, deliberately haven't asked.

As Quote Wide-O says
About those test results: when you are in the active phase of alcoholism, those results don't dictate logical thinking either way. If they are OK, the alcoholic will say "see, it's not so bad, we have been exaggerating, it's OK to have a few." Whereas a really bad result will make him say "it's too late now to become sober and healthy(ier), I might as well continue drinking."

The brain is an amazingly powerful muscle. Thank you for caring enough to comment, I am most grateful. Real help comes from the valuable virtual NT support network experts who have all been there together with actual people I see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi33 View Post
PamelaJune, I am sorry to read about all that you are dealing with.

This is not about me but when I was in the early stages of dealing with my addiction I behaved in a similar way to DB.

My partner was great (the fact that she is, among other things, a psychologist probably helped). She bluntly told me that she could not stop me from drinking but if I made that choice she would support and encourage me. That, with help from my mental health care team worked for me.

I am sure that you are doing all of those things with DB but it is his choice and his consequences. Please remember to look after yourself first - it is not a selfish thing to do.

With care.

Last edited by PamelaJune; 01-04-2016 at 06:54 AM.
"Thanks for this!" says:
eva5667faliure (03-19-2016), RSD ME (06-22-2016), Wide-O (01-04-2016)