View Single Post
Old 07-01-2007, 10:41 AM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

If you are asking about applying for Social Security Disability, (assuming you will no longer go back to work), you just go down to the Social Security office and they ask you "when was your last day of work?" Then they write everything down and you answer all the questions. I assume everything is done by computer now.

After they get your application, they will send you an appointment letter for you to go into their offices that give the medical examinations. You will be examined by a physician. If x-rays are need, they do them there. You pay for nothing by the way. You will also be questioned by a psychiatrist who asks you to remember numbers, and he'll hit you with a barrage of questions. (this is exactly what happened to Alan and myself). Now if they have changed this method, I have no idea but that is how one applied for SSD years ago.

After you finish your medical examination, they even give you car fare home.

So you wait for the approval or the refusal letter.

It took me two refusals and a lawyer to get Social Security Disability for my arthritis and that was age 45 or so.

Alan got his neuropathy at age 47. He worked till 5 years ago. He applied (at age 55), and went down for the medical exam. The doctor did the tuning fork thing on his feet and an emg. The doctor looked at Alan incredulously and said "you mean to tell me, you don't feel what I'm doing to you"?? Alan said "what are you doing to me?" The guy said "oh my god". Alan got approved on the first round. We spoke to many people that day at this place. They were on their third go-around with the Social Security administration. Some of them even had brain cancer and they were refused two times and had to get a lawyer and go in front of a judge (just like I had to).

Alan never had to go through any of that. The guy who said "oh my god", must have written a note to the Social Security Administration, because Alan got it within 6 months and that's unusual.

But you don't get medicare right away, unless you have end date renal failure, or Lou Gherig's disease. Everybody who gets on Social Security Disabilty has to be on it 2 years before they get the medicare.

That's how it was for me. Alan also. (Perhaps it's changed, I have no idea). Oh, when you get approved, (let's say it took me two years to get approved), the first check you get is retro-active back to when you first applied for disability.

So if I applied two years ago, and I get approved tomorrow, my first check will be for two years worth of social security. Kind of like winning the lottery.

While it's nice (to get that big check), what do people do when they can't afford to wait two years to get approved?? They apply for SSI. If one is qualified, I believe you get that immediately. It's very confusing. Believe me.

Now if you are not talking about Social Security disability, and you are talking about disability from your workplace, then I believe you are talking about workman's compensation and that's a whole other discussion.

Love ya,
melody

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote