Old 01-04-2016, 10:04 AM
Newly Joined

8 yr Member
Newly Joined

8 yr Member
Default Hang in there Phoenix!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix3 View Post
I'm 15 and male. I jumped off my balcony onto my trampoline and hit my knee into my chin blacked out for a couple of seconds. Thought it was nothing continued training (I'm a very serious cross country and track runner). Now here I am my headaches still last most the day. I need medication just to sleep and at this point am really depressed. I'm incredibly out of shape in comparison to what I was three monthes ago my heart rate used to be 44 in the morning and is now about 91. I haven't hung out with my friends in several weeks and am about a month behind in schoolwork and tests. It's really hard to watch my straight A's become C's. If I was able to run none of this would matter. My dog died two days ago and I'm visiting my uncle on his deathbed next weekend. Some of my friends have been supportive but most of them think it's funny or that I'm milking my concussion to get out of doing work. They think concussions only last a week or 2 and that they aren't serious. They make fun of me because of how stupidly I got my injury and because of that I made up a slightly different story for my parents and Doctor. I got so depressed the other day that I did some self harm, nothing serious but still stupid. I think I did it for attention but it happened. I'm not really suicidal but I've thought about it. I know it would be stupid and wouldn't solve my problems. Maybe some of my friends got to me or maybe I was sick of being cooped up, but for New Year's Eve I got really drunk at a party. I've never been drunk and I did some really stupid stuff and said a lot of things I regret. I starting crying at the party which is really embarresing. One of my friends drove me home and she's been helping me a lot the past few days she wants to get my a councilor. I'm not sure how the drinking will affect me long term but my head definately Feels worse.
My son is also 15 years old and suffered a concussion in football practice at the end of August. He is still experiencing symptoms and I know he has some of the same feelings you do. Like you, he is a great student and competitive athlete (baseball / football) We have tried nearly everything to get him "back on his feet" but so far, he is still having issues. He is clearly better, but by no means is he 100%. He just spent his entire Christmas break catching up on past-due assignments, and had to miss out on many social opportunities with friends. I feel for you as I have seem first hand the doubt and suspicion of friends, teachers and coaches. It seems that everyone expects concussions to "heal" after a few weeks, and anyone who has one that lasts longer is looked at with a suspicious eye.

I'm sorry this has happened to you. Please remember, you are still VERY young and have your entire life ahead of you! Several years from now this difficult period will be a distant memory. I will pray for your complete healing and hope that you, and my son, will return to your normal activities this year!
bwhiteii is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote