View Single Post
Old 01-04-2016, 11:09 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

PriME,

Root canaled teeth harbor infected nerve tissue irrelevant of how well or how poorly the rc procedure is done. This means that they are a chronic source of infection which can easily travel beyond the tooth. Symptoms of the proliferation of the infection may or may not ever offer any obvious "tooth" symptoms but frequently it will after the latent stage of the infection. With the infection there is also chronic inflammation which also easily moves beyond the infected tooth.

Blepharitis, which is considered an ocular allergy, indicates that something is triggering an abnormal inflammatory response and you may only be aware that it is affecting your eyes. Acute Blepharitis can be due to a bacterial infection but when it is chronic it can be a symptom of the early stages of a mast cell disorder. Mast cells are white blood cells that release histamine and other chemicals during an inflammatory or allergic reaction. When the immune system decides to react to the prolonged and/or overwhelming release of mast cells, physical symptoms will become evident. This reaction causes an increase in fluid secretions, swelling and inflammation any place in or on the body.

You can google Blepharitis and mast cell disorders for more detailed information. In my opinion, the type of doctor to see for a mast cell disorder may be a Functional Medicine doctor as these physicians seek to find the root cause of the disorder whereas conventional physicians tend to mask the symptoms with various antihistamines, acid blockers, and other drugs.

Other things that can be contributing factors to your eye and sinus issues on the left side are:

1) If the rc tooth was perforated during the root canal procedure as this would cause immediate release of the bacteria and disinfectants to be pushed beyond the apex of the tooth.

2) The tooth could be fractured which would allow bacteria etc to spread more easily beyond the tooth.

3) There could be an un-diagnosed communication or perforation between the tooth root and the sinus allowing bacteria to easily travel into the sinus.

4) There could be an un-diagnosed bacterial cyst protruding from the rc tooth (very common) that is not being picked up on a 2 dimensional dental xray.

I hope this information is helpful to you. Let me know your thoughts on it.
Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriME View Post
Update!!! Also, need some advice.

In September 2015, my left upper eyelid became considerably swollen; at first, I thought it might be due to my contact lenses, and haven't worn them since. The eyelid was quite painful and stayed swollen for over a week - got prescribed an antibiotic ointment a week later, and within two days of using the ointment, the swelling subsided.

The swelling returned within a month, lasted about a week, subsided slightly, but the eyelid is darker and hasn't really been the same since in appearance.

A month following that, my right upper eyelid became swollen, and while that subsided on the day of my period, a lump (I assume a chalazion) remains.

This past Monday (Dec 28 2015) my left lower eyelid as well as a large area underneath the eye. became swollen, painfully so. While the swelling is slowly subsiding, it's leaving behind purple bruising beneath the eye.

My question is - can this have anything to do with the root canal I got in Jan 2014? (Root canal - left 2nd upper molar - wisdom tooth has been removed, so this is the last tooth in the left upper side)

I've had blepharitis since 2012, but I've never had swelling of any kind since Sept 2015.

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote