View Single Post
Old 01-04-2016, 02:02 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Yes, agreed. I won't rule out the odd person who can deal with sugars/carbs of all sorts quite effectively, but still this could cause minimal glycation without the person knowing it. Who knows...

Regarding carb level for ketosis, that is variable from person to person. I would say that I eat under 100 grams, but that can range from 30-80 per day and I'm in ketosis. Though I can slip in and out too, of course. The body does that very easily. I've known people who can get pretty close to 100 and still be in ketosis. 20 grams is quite low and with all the veggies I eat, and more recently carrots too, I don't think I ever eat that little. But, of course, I'm not measuring things all the time or barely. And you're definitely right about too little carbs being a starvation mode. I don't think I'd recommend anything much below 50 or thereabouts, and not sure if I've even gotten that low or below, but perhaps I have.

But the takeaway here is that the particularities of each person is quite essential, however accurate or universal principles can be. I watched the video in the link (https://vimeo.com/52645372) and found it quite interesting.

Pinkey, he's definitely got himself a sense of humor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Winter View Post
I think it is a safe generalization to make that Sugar is not good for neuropathy. I have never seen this rejected. Even sugar from fruits - while may have health benefits will exacerbate the pain associated with the condition.

Low carb can go too far. Glucose does have a function in survival in the body. I have been low carb since my diagnosis. But at maintenance level (30 - 60 carbs per day). I also eat a ton of fiber rich foods to help counteract the effects of the sugars I do eat. Staying in pure ketosis (20 carbs or less per day) will take its toll over time and the body will demand more carbohydrates for its proper functioning.

I personally have always found it is the best diet and lifestyle. But, like the article says, you do what your body responds to best. That's what has always been a great fail safe for me whenever I have had any health concern.
DavidHC is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
pinkynose (01-04-2016)