View Single Post
Old 01-07-2016, 12:16 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

It's an "Allard" I guess, is what it says on the sticker at least.

And I could not imagine having one like yours Erin, seems like it would hinder rather than help the issue. An AFO is normally because your leg is weak or injured, so how does a three pound weight help that . My fingers are certainly crossed that you'll get a newer model soon. And your insurance won't give you grief over it.

Before insurance on mine, it was $800 or so, after insurance it was only $140 ish. A bit more than the other brace they were think of going with, but well worth the extra $40 difference I think. And best of all, through the process I learned that it was not so much the shredded tendons and ripped ligaments that was causing the foot drop on my left leg, but that the brain just isn't sending the signal along to tell the foot to pick up. My legs are quite strong (or so the PT said) just the nerves telling them what to do are shorted out somewhere.

So I don't know if that will make a difference in braces. My left foot just needs a reminder to "pick up" so mines a toe-off brace that just kind of bounces my toes upwards when I release weight from the foot. Which is helping the right leg out a lot since I'm no longer doing like a tip-toed step on the right side while kicking my toes up on the left with ever step I take to clear the floor.

And once again got complimented on my posture . Seriously, does no one stand up straight anymore? The radiologists ooh and aah over my back, the doctors always have to say something about it, now the PT guys are amazed. Though I did tease him that I make hopping on one foot look "so graceful" before getting the brace .

And I ran today Just with the GB and not very fast or far... But still, I ran. I didn't fall, my knees didn't crap out on me, my ankles didn't scream... Oh gosh did it feel so good to run. I have so very much so missed it.
SallyC (01-07-2016)