View Single Post
Old 01-07-2016, 02:34 PM
Newly Joined

8 yr Member
Newly Joined

8 yr Member
Default Newly diagnosed BFS

Hi everyone,

This monday I was diagnosed by a neurologist with BFS after a thorough medical examination and a clean MRI. I'm 19 years old, live in the greater Boston area, and go to Cornell University.

One question I have though, is that I've had a minor facial palsy on the left side of my face for around two months that has gradually - albiet very slowly - gotten worse. It started around Halloween with my left eye watering more than normal and air coming out of my left eye socket whenever I blew my nose. Now, the left side of my mouth droops ever so slightly (but still enough for my family to notice the change) at rest and when I smile, and I've been slurring words slightly more than normal. Also, sometimes when I talk my left ear will get this weird sensation of hearing differently that will eventually go away on its own. (Does the ear sensation have a name if any of you know what I'm talking about?)

I know I'm young and if there was the possibility of anything being seriously wrong with me I would've been asked for a follow up, but what could this be? My neurologist mentioned it might be a minor form of Bell's Palsy and didn't sound very concerned about it, but when I searched that it seemed that that usually had a rapid onset, whereas mine has been very gradual over the course of many weeks. I'm trying not to assume anything too bad but since I wasn't given an EMG I'm a little hesitant.

Thanks!
-Luke
BullardLA is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote