Thread: Sound Problems
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2016, 09:21 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

I've had 2 concussions in the past 2+ years and am 1.3 yrs post the 2nd. Sound sensitivity has been one of my worst symptoms and frequently sets off the headaches & vestibular issues I have. I wear prism glasses, have vision and vestibular therapy weekly. I use musician's ear plugs and noise canceling headphones for various situations. This concussion symptom has frustrated me the most as it essentially causes a major change in lifestyle due to inability to socialize and enjoy activities that I previously participated in on a regular basis. Pretty difficult to not get depressed when even family gatherings are too much to handle due to noise level!
I was an occupational therapist for 40 years before my injury forced me to retire. I used Therapeutic Listening, a filtered music program with my patients over the years who had sensory issues. I now use specific discs for myself which have a calming effect on me. Unfortunately, the calming effect doesn't last long enough, as far as I am concerned, but it has been better than anything else. Also, when driving by myself, I work on SLOWLY raising the volume. When in a car with others, I cannot tolerate the radio if people talk as my auditory processing is significantly slower.
Anyone have any other suggestions? Would love to know.
Looking to get involved in any research as PCS has changed my life in such a negative way and I refuse to allow this to continue!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SMSotr is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote