View Single Post
Old 01-10-2016, 08:04 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElaineD View Post
Dearest Neurotalk friends,

I have progressing atrophy of my legs, and my ankles are turning in and my knees are knocking.

Has this happened to any of you? Should I try wearing some sort of braces to stop this?

I have also begun to resort to a walker when I am out and will have a long walk to the doctor's office or whatever.

I am feeling a bit desperate a this condition (Idiopathic PN, and Small Fiber Neuropathy) is changing my life now.

My knees are also hurting and I wonder if having my knee replacement will help at all with my walking?

As you can tell I am feeling discouraged.

I also recently read an article about the atrophy of the brain as a result of the loss of stimulation from nerves in the feet and legs.

What? Please let me get no worse.

Hugs, ElaineD
Hi Elaine,

I I'm new to this forum and was surprised when I read this post. I didn't realize small fiber PN could cause muscle weakness and loss of bulk muscle ?

Do you have muscle fasciculations along with your muscle atrophy in your feet ankles and calves as well ?

I've had fascis for over 15 years and had 3 EMG's back about 12 to 13 years ago and they mentioned I might have small fiber neuropathy. I never followed up with testing once I had a clean EMG. So here I am 15 years later and I'm seeing muscle weakness in the feet and calves.

I recently had a knee replacement due to years of sports injuries to the knee and I can tell you the rehab has been rough. I'm still without a DX of anything other than benign fasciculations. If you have muscle weakness in your legs I can tell you the rehab will be a long road and painful. I'm still walking with a cane when I leave the house and its been 7 months since the surgery.

Have a good day,

Ken
pennben is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote