View Single Post
Old 09-23-2006, 05:43 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudyLV View Post
My son is 17 and has not grown significantly in height for a couple of years. He has always been very thin. The blood draw was done a few hours after lunch. Some of the grandparents have high cholesterol.

One time when my cholesterol was 140 my OBGYN called to tell be how good it was. My holistic doctor told me a few weeks later that it was too low and reflected my weak adrenals.

--Judy
Judy,

I am assuming you have had him tested on all fronts. I can tell you without question that if it were my son, I would take him off gluten. Of course, I already have both my sons off gluten. All of my Uncles are built exactly as you describe your son....extremely tall, extremely skinny. They did not age well (if they aged at all). I would take him off gluten.

I am adding more to this because I think I should elaborate. I think in some families, gluten intolerance stretches far beyond those who are celiac and those who aren't. My mom had six brothers and sisters. Two of her sibings, one brother, one sister, totally flaked out in their 30s, early 40s. Suddenly, her brother who was a successful lawyer, became unable to handle life. He pretty much checked out, left his family, and disappeared (until the insurance company found him 7years later) and lived in a low rent boarding house taking odd jobs to make ends meet until he died at age 60. Her sister did the same thing but was married with four kids. She was pretty much unable to function normally, could not take care of her kids and died for some unknown reason at age 50. I am very sensitive to this because that was exactly where I was headed without a celiac/gluten intolerance diagnosis. I suddenly could not function. I couldn't get out of bed, I couldn't think straight and I was hardly able to participate with my husband and children. I am still healing after 4 years GF, but I am doing great.

I only mention the two out of the six that had tragic endings. One other brother got completely emaciated (six foot three or something), and had so little energy I would constantly ask my mother what was wrong with him. My mother actually fared better than the rest but she has auto-immune thyroid, diabetes type II, and severe ezcema. (Mom is off gluten now). Of the remaining two siblings, one was much older than my mother and died before I really knew him. My mom's younger brother seems to be ok but recently recovered from some sort of auto-immune blood condition.

I won't mention the demise of my cousins as that would get lengthy. However, suffice it to say that history repeats itself. I now have five cousins off of gluten.

So Judy, when I hear about all your family problems, it sounds just like mine. I just don't think anyone in my family should be eating gluten. Too risky.

Grace

Last edited by graceperson; 09-24-2006 at 10:42 AM.
graceperson is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote