View Single Post
Old 07-01-2007, 05:27 PM
In Memorium

15 yr Member
In Memorium

15 yr Member
Default Melody

Hi -
There are lots of options under Medicare for the insurance plan you choose - HMO's, PPO's, I have whats called a Medi-Gap Policy which has to be underwritten so thse of use with disabilities can only enroll without underwriting the first six months we are eligible (I can go to any Medicare provider with no referral anywhwere in the country and it pays all my co-pays)... the benefits on the Medi Gap Plan you choose are govenment regulated -preimus are not - and depending on your geographic location different HMOS', etc. are offered. For example, in the area I live - there is no Medicare HMO that has a decent neurolgist - a must for me...

And of course Plan D now adds to the mix - the first four years I was on Medicare I had no prescrition coverage - it was an astromonical cost... now with Plan D at least can pay for some coverage....

I take lots of meds because of my gastroparesis (the paralyzed stomach, heart meds, etc) so its a cost I can justify...

I could go in as a day patient to the hospital for IVIG and med is included - but I have no one to drive me, and getting home would be a nightmare on Access as you never know how long you have to wait for meds in hospital (and Access, at least here, can leave you if you arent ready and wont come back) and the infusions make me so woozy I need to be pushed into bed....

At home Medicare and my Medi Gap policy cover the nursing, but I have a co-pay on the med.... I have no idea how your doc can get it thru as a DME - cause its not! But maybe the HMO you belong to allows for it - HMO's seem to each have their own rules and regs....

Again, the area you live in really determines whats avilable in your area - if they have them with great docs - you're very lucky!!!!!!!!! (hang on to that plan and that doc!)

BEGLET is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote