View Single Post
Old 01-12-2016, 04:22 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Default Hi Jay,

I'm glad I'm not the only one in this world with Spino Cerebella Ataxia. I'm Deb and I'm 64 years old. I was mis-diagnosed in the early 1980's with MS. I've lived as an MSer for 30+ years, even taking a weekly MS injection called Avonex. So far, I'm just learning about SCA. How the doctor found this is simple. I switched neurologists to a much better neuro. After seeing me a few times, they ran all kinds of tests on me here in my hometown. Then, the sent me to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania (I'm in the USA) for conformation.

I'm still in my MS group. In fact we all got to be friends. I did tell the group when I was diagnosed with SCA (about 4 years ago), asked them if I could stay in the group now that I didn't have MS and they said yes. Whew! I really didn't want to leave my friends but was prepared to do so if they didn't want a non-MSer there. I've noticed since I was diagnosed with this that I've gone through everything that my MS friends have. I wonder if CSA is a disease that mimics MS to a point? I'll have to ask my neuro when I see him next month.

How do you know if you have SCA-2 or what? I guess this is something else to ask the doctor.

I can walk about 6 minutes without having to sit but am trying hard to improve that. I use a walker mainly but for long distances, I have a power-chair. I'm working on improving that. I sure hope I can! I bought myself a walking DVD to follow, and with the constant chatter out of the instructor on it, I find it fun to do! I have to admit that I can't do it everyday. Maybe that will change in the future too. I don't know. All I can do is keep on trying.

I have know idea what to expect from this disease so I'm just living from day to day. I'm trying to enjoy every day I have, too. I read a very depressing blog by a person who has this. It was very depressing. Both he and his father have it. In fact, the father died from it 4 years after being diagnosed.

Can you tell me what symptoms go with CSA? Like I said, it seems that the symptoms of MS are the symptoms of this but really, I don't know. I do know I've gone through at least 3/4 of the same stuff an MSer has gone through. I do know from reading that depressing blog that incontinence, weakness and depression go along with this.

What I do for my depression is going to sound really corny. You'll get a laugh out of it and I hope you do. It might make you feel better! Well, when I feel myself going down that road I put in either a Harry Potter, Celtic Thunder or a Christmas DVD. All of which I love. Oh, the movie Mama Mia helps, too. But this doesn't always help. Sometimes, it happens and I don't know it happens until I am convinced my family hates me and cry for no good reason. That kind of stuff. The DVDs don't really work then. This is usually between a doctor appointment. I'm not sure what to do at these times.

My right leg has been going out on me lately so both the neuro and the orthopedic doctors have ordered MRIs. Both have abnormalities in them.

Again, I'm really glad I have someone else to talk to that's in the same boat I'm in!
Deb
kidztales is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Darlene (01-14-2016)