View Single Post
Old 01-12-2016, 11:42 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Question daughter of a suicide attempter

The first time my dad attempted suicide was December of 2014. I walked in his bedroom and he had a gun to his head. I took the gun away and locked it in the trunk of my vehicle until I could secure it elsewhere. I called his psychiatrist who did next to nothing to help. There are no more guns in the house. The next time he attempted was September of last year. He woke me up at 230 in the morning saying he took all of his medicine. I rushed him to the hospital where they had him committed. When he was released from the hospital, I made sure he had no access to his meds until two weeks ago.

He convinced me that he was ok and he wanted more independence. I was naïve enough to give him what he wanted, so I let him have control over his meds. Saturday morning my dad attempted suicide and almost died. He took all of his blood pressure medicine, depression meds, sleeping meds, and counted each one as he did it. He also took shots of whiskey with each pill. I rushed him to the hospital.
I was told by keeping him awake in the car I saved his life; however, I don't feel that way because I gave him the control over his meds. He was on life support for 24 hours but pulled through. I want to help him in the best way and give him the best/love support possible.

He has brain damage due to brain surgery three years ago. He is disabled and has severe depression/anxiety. I want to help him and give him the best love/support possible. Can of you help me as I am his caregiver? Just looking for a little advice.
ashlev07 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Alffe (01-13-2016), barbo (01-13-2016), bizi (01-13-2016), EnglishDave (01-13-2016), eva5667faliure (01-14-2016), OhKay (01-13-2016), Wren (01-13-2016)