View Single Post
Old 01-13-2016, 01:06 PM
Elder

10 yr Member
Elder

10 yr Member

Dear Ashley,

As someone who has attempted suicide herself, I can tell you that there was nothing that anyone could have done to stop me when I became sick enough to try it. Had someone removed one means, I would have found another.

I realize you feel guilty, but you should not. You expect too much of yourself- you have gone above and beyond to care for your father and try to keep him safe. You are a wonderful, loving daughter.

Substance abuse disorders compound mental health problems. It is fantastic that your father has expressed a willingness to get sober! My bipolar disorder is much more under control since I quit drinking.

Creating a care plan with your father's psychiatrist before he's discharged is an excellent idea! I hope that the psychiatrist has some solutions that will make you feel more confident of your father's safety when he returns home.

I can't imagine the amount of pain you've been through or the amount of stress you've been under… It's important you take care of yourself before you can be there for your daughter and father. A good therapist can help.
I found mine by calling a local group practice. I let them know what kind of insurance I had and they assigned me a therapist who accepted it. You can also call your insurance company or visit their website to find one.

I wish you and your family the best.

Kay
OhKay is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Alffe (01-13-2016), ashlev07 (01-13-2016), barbo (01-13-2016), bizi (01-13-2016), EnglishDave (01-13-2016), eva5667faliure (01-14-2016), Wren (01-13-2016)