View Single Post
Old 01-14-2016, 10:10 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

I had a posterior C2-C4 laminectomy and a C1-C5 fusion due to multiple infections (osteomyelitis, meningitis, epidural abscesses, cerebellar abscesses). The reason mine was posterior was due to the brain abscesses as they had to due an incision and drainage and wash-out and removal of part of my cerebellum, which required a crainectomy, so it had to be posterior.

I'm much better now, but my recovery was difficult. I had to re-learn how to walk, speak, swallow again (I also had central pontine myelinolysis), was in the hospital for 4 months, followed by a rehab hospital for almost 3 more. I was on narcotics for 9 months following discharge and finally stopped them cold turkey one day (absolutely DON'T do that) due to the side effects.

I still have daily headaches and neck pain, but I only had the infection for a couple weeks before I went into the hospital, so I can't compare it with prior pain (I had some headaches due to a traumatic brain injury, but nothing like now, and no neck pain).

I hope you get relief with your procedures. Your MRI does sound pretty impressive (not in a good way).

I'm pretty well educated in all that's involved. If you have any questions, I'd be happy to try and help.

Good luck.
pinkswede17 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote