View Single Post
Old 01-14-2016, 01:04 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillHoping View Post
I have SFN and POTS , and my main problem is disabling fatigue.
I got 2 Rituximab infusions, the last one was 5 weeks ago. I was told it might take 1.5-2 months till it works. I don’t feel any improvement yet, I am very tired probably more tired than before the infusions.

Is the effect of the rituximab gradual ? Should I expect any effect after 5 weeks, or is it too soon ?

My skin biopsy result showed severe reduction of nerve fibers. My main symptom is reduced sensation, I also got tingling, burning, numbness etc. If my SFN is caused by autoimmune disorder can the rituximab restore the sensation ? or the best case scenario is it would stop the gradual deterioration ? how long can it take to feel the effect ?

Can the worsening of the fatigue be caused of the rituximab ? should I ask for any tests ?
Rituximab works be decreasing the excessive B cells from autoimmune diseases. It can take a while to work, but most I've talked to noticed at least some mild symptom improvement pretty quick.

Rituximab does NOT regrow nerve cells. It only destroys the B cells. I have not heard of it helping SFN in the way you mention...increasing nerve fibers. That doesn't mean that it destroying the B cells might allow for your nerve fibers to heal over time (after they are no longer being attacked by the B cells)...but I would think (as in ANY nerve regeneration) that it will take a long time.
en bloc is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
bluesfan (01-15-2016), glenntaj (01-15-2016), stillHoping (01-14-2016)