View Single Post
Old 01-14-2016, 02:51 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by en bloc View Post
Rituximab works be decreasing the excessive B cells from autoimmune diseases. It can take a while to work, but most I've talked to noticed at least some mild symptom improvement pretty quick.

Rituximab does NOT regrow nerve cells. It only destroys the B cells. I have not heard of it helping SFN in the way you mention...increasing nerve fibers. That doesn't mean that it destroying the B cells might allow for your nerve fibers to heal over time (after they are no longer being attacked by the B cells)...but I would think (as in ANY nerve regeneration) that it will take a long time.
Thanks for replying. I had high hopes for this treatment, and as the time goes by, without any significant improvement, it is very depressing.
I had some other health problems during and before the infusions, bad side effects to a drug that I had to stop, and a long virus/infection, so maybe they masked the rituximab effect..... hoping for miracles...

Is IVIG better than rituximab for autoimmune SFN ? or both treatments just reduce the antibodies that attacks the nerves ?
stillHoping is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote