View Single Post
Old 01-14-2016, 11:09 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Hey Cliffman !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffman View Post
My Neurologist told me that Lyrica has greater efficacy but the side effects are generally worse. From what I have read everyone reacts differently, case in point your experience Chris has been a positive one. Personally I have not tried Lyrica and have been trying to get to 1800 mg of the Gabapentin daily, so far I have been going up very slowly. It puts a dent in the pain but not much more than that, however if I didn't take it I presume I would be hurting a lot more.

Here's a question; how does one switch from one drug to the other without putting themselves into a world of hurt? IE; lets say you start to ween off Gabapentin to try Lyrica...once you get close to zero wouldn't one be in a lot of pain? Does the doctor put a patient on both at a given point or do they give you a third tier drug temporarily like Oxycodone or Tramadol to bridge the pain gap on the way to zero?

Cliffman
If I remember correctly My neuro took me off gabapentin and switched me to Lyrica the same day. I'm sure that's right. Because of that experience I realized the gabapentin was working some to 'put a dent in the pain' as you said

I was on Lyrica for 3 weeks and had developed a horrible stomach ache. Like the kind we had as children. The neuro said he had never heard of that side effect before but took me off of it for 3 weeks to see if my stomach pain got better and it did almost immediately.

My pain got progressively worse over the six weeks I was off the gabapentin and that's when I knew it was helping some.

He then added Cymbalta to my gabapentin but I could not go over 30 mgs without hearing muffled voices and music. So I stopped taking it. That's also what happens if I go over 1800 mgs of gabapentin a day.

Again....everyone has a different response to each medication.

Take care everyone

Debi in Georgia
St George 2013 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Cliffman (01-15-2016), zkrp01 (01-16-2016)