View Single Post
Old 01-15-2016, 02:19 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Confused I have a smelly sinus infection after upper molar extraction, too

I am in the same boat with HeatherKelly and just created an account today to ask about it!

My extraction took place October 15, 2015, upper right molar and premolar that had a root canal. I am thinking that some food must have gotten into my sinus at some point, to cause the horrible smell.

The smell has dissipated somewhat, but there is still a dull ache and sour post nasal drip that almost feels like it's burning the back of my throat sometimes. I have been doing sinus rinses, which helped, but I only did the right side, and must have flushed some of the infection to the left since smell mucous started coming out that side too.

I am assuming that since the gums have healed over nicely, the opening must have healed, too? And now whatever got in there is trapped and causing the pain, smell and mucous?

My question is the same, does this sort of thing EVER clear on its own, or must the oral surgeon go back in and clean out the site and the sinus? Maybe there is some other way to clear this I have not thought of, but I read that antibiotics don't work for sinus infections because of the low blood flow to the area. Plus, how can it ever clear if there is foreign matter in there, just rotting???
webinfusoin is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote