View Single Post
Old 01-15-2016, 11:30 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Three months ago I participated in 6 week concussion clinic that uses this emersion philosophy (expose yourself to everything that bothers you). The program I was in was very similar to what was described, and included vestibular, occupational, physical, psychological, and neuropsychological components to it.

I've been reluctant to post my personal thoughts as I haven't been doing very well. Keeping this short, this emersion philosophy did not work. At all. Outside of doing some physical activity and talking to people other than my family, this program had an escalating and wholly negative impact on me. By the end of the program I was an utter mess. I was back and continue to need narcotic analgesics on a daily basis, I had increased anger and frustration problems at home, nausea and disorientation issues were back, sleep disturbance became the norm (again), and, worst of all, my ability to tolerate any kind of stimulation was significantly diminished.

Fast-forwarding 3 months post clinic, things have not improved. I am more sensitive to noise and conversations, and my constant headaches are worse and more easily intensified.

So, when I see clinics and people touting these success stories, I think it's very important to remember that every concussion is unique. It will work for some, and it may not work for other. Whilst I'm glad that I tried it and saw it through, I cannot say it was beneficial to my recovery per se.
MicroMan is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Mark in Idaho (01-15-2016)