View Single Post
Old 01-16-2016, 03:50 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

HeatherKelly,

The adjacent tooth which is root canaled has some degree of infection brewing inside of that tooth as all root canaled teeth do. So that tooth could be exacerbating the infection in the sinus. What type of accident did you have? It is possible that the rc tooth fractured but was not diagnosed? Did the dentist mention that to you?

My personal opinion which is based on my professional experience in the dental field, dental schools are not really the ideal place to have tooth extractions or other oral surgery because the procedure tends to be less thorough than it should be and there is often very little expert post operative care given. Seeing a student for post operative complications is not acceptable but it is routinely done that way.

I understand that you tried to save money and wanted to use your insurance but now you'll have to seek additional care from an oral surgeon. Also a word about health insurance coverage... if you have dental coverage and you have an accident out of state, the insurance will most likely reimburse you something towards the cost of the emergency dental treatment. So in all probability you could have sought care from a private oral surgeon, paid his fee and then submitted a claim to your insurance explaining the situation and gotten reimbursed whatever amount you would be eligible to receive if you had seen someone in your state. The same goes for most medical coverage as well.

You need to see an oral surgeon to evaluate the extraction site, the rc tooth and the sinus. I'm sorry, but until you know why this is happening and have it treated accordingly, there is nothing I can recommend for you to do. I'm sorry.

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherKelly View Post
No, I am not a smoker. I haven't used straws or even sneezed with my mouth closed. Yes it was done at the University of Minnesota dental school. I just wanted it pulled because it cracked and was painful. I was only visiting and couldnt find anywhere to accept my out of state insurance. I had no idea it was going to turn into this. Oh to your previous reply it was not a root canal however the tooth next to it is. I've only been taking Sudafed when the pressure is to the point where I can't move.

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote