View Single Post
Old 01-17-2016, 01:01 PM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Default Need your input for a future purchase

Hi all.

Someday I am going to have to replace my Dell Inspiron 18 inch laptop with a new computer. I would prefer a desktop rather than a laptop because I never move this thing and don't plan to. I essentially use my laptop as a desktop (it has no battery) and it's plugged in. It's over 8 years old so I know eventually I'll have to replace it.

So I need to go nice and easy and check out anything I plan to buy in the event that I win the lottery and have the money to purchase what I need to purchase. I don't need anything fancy but I want an all in one. I want to just plug it in, turn it on, use the wi fi and connect my headphones. I don't play games, I watch youtube and other stuff, so essentially any computer I get would do just that. It's the screen size that I am concerned about. Since I like to watch movies I don't want to buy a 15 inch laptop. I've been using an 18 inch and am used to the size. If I could go bigger, I want to go bigger.

Here's an example. I read the specs. It fits the bill, there are no additional wires (if I read this right), I just take it out of the box, plug it in, (here is where I get confusedddd). It says blue tooth. I know what that is. I presently use my Koss headphones which I plug into my laptop. I don't use wireless.

Does this thing come with a headphone jack? and am I correct that all I need to do is plug it into my outlet, plug in my headphones, turn on the computer and (I know, I have to learn windows ten, right), I can learn. I don't care if it's a touch screen, all I use is a mouse, I own a tablet so I know about touch screens.

So here's what I'm thinking about for the future (or a similar product). See if I get a regular desktop, I need to plug in a monitor and the computer, and route it to the modem. Since I am using wi fi via my laptop I just want to use wi fi and this thing seems to fit the bill. I'm not jumping into anything. There are places around me that sells refurbished ones (the laptop I'm using right now was refurbished and it works just fine 99 percent of the time. Thanks much

http://www.staples.com/HP-Pavilion-2...roduct_1776336

Melody

UPDATE. Just got off with tech support from Optimum. God that guy is like Sheldon Cooper from Big Bang. He answered all my questions. Found out what 2.5 and 5 ghz means. Found out my laptop only has 2.5. Found out that if I want better performance I want a computer with Dual band, found out lots of stuff. And I'm 68. I wonder what I could be able to learn if I was 20. God I wish I was 20 again. rofl.

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

Last edited by MelodyL; 01-17-2016 at 01:46 PM.
MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote