View Single Post
Old 01-18-2016, 04:26 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanna View Post
Jenny,

I replied to your other post in the thread by Lenzi86. Please go to that thread to see my reply.

I just want to add .... all of the dental saga that you have been through, although traumatic.... expensive ... and time consuming with this tooth, is irrelevant for the simple fact that ALL root canaled teeth are chronically infected. I will attach a diagram of the anatomy of a tooth to show you the magnitude of how many microscopic canals each tooth has that are not accessible during any dental treatment or surgery. These canals continue to harbor necrotic infected nerve tissue irrelevant of what is done to the tooth. This means that the infection spreads at a rate unique to each individual. Sometimes it is rapid, other times it is slow. Sometimes something happens like an injury or illness that causes the infection to speed up.

Although it seems like only #9 has a problem, it is both of the root canaled teeth are infected. One may have more obvious symptoms than the other. Removing just #9 may not be advantageous as the other infected tooth may prohibit the healing of that extraction.

Dental xrays are only 2 dimensional and don't always pick up the extent of the pathology related to root canaled teeth. Aside from that, ALL dentists know that root canaled teeth are chronically infected and that the fistulas that form are directly related to that tooth. Sometimes when there are 2 root canaled teeth next to each other, it can be difficult to determine which one of those teeth has the fistula because the fistula does not always form directly over the most infected tooth. It can form near another tooth due to the path the infection has taken in the bone from the infected tooth to the outside of the gum.
Thank you Bryanna for your reply. I actually just came home from my consult with the Oral Surgeon. He said that it seems like a cyst forming around the tooth because my body is rejecting it, and that he could go in and clean it out but that the tooth is on "borrowed time" I would need to extract the tooth eventually. So he said that he could extract the tooth and I could have a bridge done, or he would do the extraction and then bone grafting to prepare for an implant. The implant sounded more appealing to me because he made it sound like it was a permanent fix. I did ask him if the infection would go away once the tooth is extracted and the implant is in, and he said yes because the tooth is what is causing it. But based on what I read on your other thread, the bone grafting could possibly not work? Or the infection could be coming from the other tooth? How will I know what the source is? Now I am very nervous on how to proceed. I am supposed to call my dentist to make an appointment to get a flipper made, and then schedule the appointment for the extraction after that...

Also I have another question. He didn't mention that I had to be on antibiotics but I'm not sure if I should call back and ask if I should get them in the meantime for this infection. What do you think?
jenny8484 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote