View Single Post
Old 01-18-2016, 05:38 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

I've just been reading all the info on root canals - do you think best thing is to get this extracted? Sounds like it might be the cause of pain in my mouth since November (of course wisdom tooth and peritonitis too) but now they're gone all pain seems local to around the root canal tooth

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgizmo21 View Post
Hi Bryanna,

I hope you might be able to advise me as from looking at this site you clearly know your stuff.

I'm 31
Generally good health
Female

Im getting worried - right now it's due to pain in the restored tooth next to wisdom tooth extraction but I'll give you the back history.

Last January I got my first infection around a partially erupted wisdom tooth - it was a doozie. Treated with 400mg metronidazole. I had 3 days worth then it made me violently sick and I was advised to stop taking it any more - I was much better and carried on with life with occasional pain in the area but nothing bad. The tooth was peeking out and tilted back so it was less of a flap as most have and actually a tiny cave - food was apparently getting in all the time. In August it was playing up mildly so I had some doxycycline - apparently that's unusual for teeth but it worked well and I was fully pain free for first time in 2015. All was well - in November it flared up again - gum was mad but infection/pain felt more internal - had amoxicillin which dented the gum infection but I still had pain 'around' wisdom tooth - dentist said it was moving and pressing etc. so arranged to have it out in January. Over christmas I had a squeezing, internal pain seemingly around the wisdom tooth area. It was manageable with pain killers and some days was barely there. But after about 5 weeks of pain and 4 days before that ANOTHER infection occurred - more typical - in the gum which flared up and had pus - this time it was flushed out by emergency dentist and I had 200mg metronidazole which did way more in the 3 days leading up to the extraction than amoxicillin did in 7 days in November - oral surgeon was happy to extract so she removed it - was quite straightforward and came out on one go - she said it was easy because an infection (I don't know which) had dissolved some bone around it (fun) - but she said no sign of infection. Healing has been mostly good (I also had upper on same side out) - pink healthy gums, healing well - been 12 days or so and gums are healing up great. But I have issues with adjacent tooth. It's a root canal tooth and straight after was SUPER sensitive, my bite changed and tapping it with upper tooth was not nice. The sensitivity is gradually improving each day, I wouldn't want to bite hard but it is improving and if you look at the gum around it (and behind it all stitched up post extraction) it is happy. but there is weird pain inside which feels as if it is around the root canal tooth. it can range from feeling like that tooth is being squeezed to shooting pains briefly that shoot downwards. Tenderness, wrenching, not a raw pain and not fully constant, it can come and go - but I am generally aware of something. it doesn't bother me at night, doesn't wake me up and it can feel that if I'm resting my mouth and talking/eating less it's less bothered - if I move my tongue away so it's not resting near the tooth the tooth is mostly happier. Now it could be a latent infection - this scares me I'm terrified I can't be fixed - 2 months of back to back pain of different kinds. Or apparently ligament bruising. Or what? please help me it's got me to breaking point, I'm so terrified this is my life forever. Any advice would be appreciated.
kgizmo21 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote