View Single Post
Old 01-18-2016, 08:37 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Hello pinkswede17,

Quote:
I don't mean to be antagonistic, I just hope people look at all the facts before stopping life-saving meds such as statins (as controversial as that may be).

I really hope I haven't offended anyone
I want to start out as saying I'm not offended nor do I find your post antagonistic. You are simply stating your opinion

My opinion is different than your. I consider Statins dangerous.

I spent a year and a half on a low dose Statin without being aware of the potential side effects or controversy.

I have a Neurological Disease so I didn't give the statin much thought as I started having problems. Those problems could have easily been a quick progression of my disease.

I slowly started to lose my strength and my ability to walk (as it is my max walking is 2 miles on a good day), fatigue that was much worse than my "normal" fatigue, and My legs hurt more than usual.

My cognitive abilities took a hit. I would be in the middle of talking and lost what I wanted to say, this got so bad all I could do was cry. I found my driving concentration wasn't there and I was getting lost in familiar places. And, I had memory loss. I stopped driving except when absolute necessary for my safety as well as the safety of others.

I was getting bad enough my Husband suspected I had developed Alzheimer's.

I did what I should have done in the beginning, I started to do research on the only medication I was taking...Lovastatin. What I found shocked and angered me. All of what I was experiencing could be connected to the statin.

I contacted my Drs. office to ask about going off the statin, I received a written note from my Dr. blaming my symptoms on my disease and if I stopped the statin I would have a stroke, but "if you want to take a chance of dying from a stroke then go ahead and stop the statin, it's your choice" .

I was angry. I made an appointment with my Neurologist and agonized over what to do.

I nervously made the decision to stop the statin.

My Neurologist scheduled me for Neuropsych testing. He was not happy that I was put on a statin. I have found many Neurologists recommend that their patients not use a statin. Those of us with Neurological disease would have a difficult time knowing if we are getting worse because of the disease or a statin.

The Neuropsych I saw said he and others in his field are seeing an increase of cases with cognitive problems due to statins. He would be using my case in an article submitted to the FDA.

Within 2 weeks after stopping the statin I was seeing improvement in cognition. It took time, frustration and anger to regain my mobility.

I lost my quality of life due to Lovastatin. I will never use a statin.
caroline2 (01-18-2016), Jomar (01-18-2016), Lara (01-18-2016), mrsD (01-18-2016)