Thread: Joan M.
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2007, 09:19 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

HI SUE,
well i did not realize that you could have such a breakdown from the foot drop. did you wear a brace right from the time of the hip surgery? i can move my foot in certain ways, i can press down, like stand on my toes, and move inward and slightly outward but i cannot lift the foot up or move sertain toes. i can twist my ankle easily because of the weakness there and so do wear that brace just about all the time. i have worn a day brace since the beginning, and i wore a night brace for years because if my foot is in 'drop' position i get horrid leg cramps. i go without the night brace now unless i have over done during the day. i have a four pronged cane near the bed for those night time bathroom trips. the crutches are easier but i use the cane. who knows why? i remember using the metal crutches as a child and doing tricks on them when no one was watching. i was pretty good swinging around back then!
i asked about how long you were in the body cast because i figured if one is diagnosed earlier then they would probably be in it a shorter period of time. did you have to go into the hospital and have the cast repostioned every few months? i remember the anesthesia well and how sick it made me! you will have to excuse my curiousity but i never thought i would talk to someone who has been through what i have. i bet we could talk for hours on end. from the crawling on the floor, to the kids at school, to the fear or child birth, to the rsd .... it spans a lifetime. it is incredible to me that we have met. please if i bug you with my questions, tell me.
lovingly, joan