View Single Post
Old 01-20-2016, 10:59 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akash View Post
Hiker thanks!! Have the pushups with a plus helped? My wrists are too weak or painful to do them. I end up being on my knuckles and my form sucks.
Hard to tell. They did help strengthen the serratus anterior.
But I think part of my problem was that it (and the lower traps) was not activating to stabilize the scapula when I was moving my arms around and neck muscles were doing all the job.
Here is what I was doing to address this.
1. First learn to activate the muscle in isolation. I found it difficult to do for the serratus. I don't know the proper technique for that I was simply lying on my back trying to pull the scapula to the rib cage and feeling with my hand what gets activated. fixtheneck site shows how to do it with a mirror, but I think you have to be very skinny to see the weak muscles activate.
2. Then train the SA to activate when you raise an arm. Every time you raise an arm you make an effort to activate the serratus and lower traps. After a while this becomes automatic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akash View Post
Is there a ratio which you apply between serratus and lower trap exercises? They are antagonists apparently in terms of location and attachment to shoulder blade.
No, no ratio.
Yes they are antagonists. Lower trap pulls the scapula down and medially and SA's lower fibers pull it down and laterally. But working together they stabilize the scapula and keep it from winging.
Hiker is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Akash (01-20-2016)