View Single Post
Old 01-20-2016, 03:54 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi kgizmo,

Thanks for posting the xray. It does not show the extraction site in it's entirety and that area is a bit blurry. But that site seems to be okay.

The root canaled molar clearly shows a widened periodontal ligament on the mesial root (the left root looking straight at the xray). This can be caused by the unhealthy and non vital status of this tooth and/or due to the extraction of the adjacent tooth allowing this tooth to move back out of it's original position. It also looks like you may have deterioration starting in the tooth in the area called the furcation. The furcation is located at the center of the tooth where the top of the root system joins together. It appears as a black dot or mark on the xray at that junction. This area is prone to deterioration as it is a very weak area of root canaled molars.

I am glad that your symptoms have calmed down. But I agree that the rc tooth is on borrowed time.

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgizmo21 View Post
Hi Bryanna,

Thanks for replying - it's calmed a lot today so I'm hopefully the immediate issue is lessening - I went to my dentist and he took an x ray - it's looking ok in there - not like I was expecting - great dark masses of dying bone - and the area where wisdom tooth was looks like it's beginning to fill in slightly. I'm with you - I think ultimately the root canal will have to go soon as if this is the case that they are toxic there's no point keeping it. Comparing the new x ray to the old one I can see the teeth (the 2nd molar and Rc) have already spaced out a bit. I'll try attach today's x - ray and I'm seeing oral surgeon tomorrow. Hopefully things will improve - the gum on top is looking pink and happy. I hope I can be ok - this stuff is scary

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote