Thread: discouraged
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2016, 08:44 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Heart

Hi Zinnia,

Walking funny can really jack up your back and everything else. I struggled with much ancillary pain when my gait was abnormal.

The only way to know if the gabapentin was masking pain that you had in your hip is to go back up for a few days. It can get really frustrating teasing out what's what sometimes. I just did this myself with foot aches, was it yoga? decreasing nortriptyline? time for ketamine? It can drive you nuts trying to figure all this out and honestly I wouldn't expect to be able to sometimes.

What I found helpful with a wonky gait was massage, swimming and strengthening my core and hip placement with the "bird-dog" exercises given by my PT. She specifically had me use a rod balanced across my hips so I couldn't cheat. I had spent so many months not walking that I just wasn't doing it properly and was really out of balance. What a thing to forget!

The important things is for you to be comfortable and using your limb as much as is tolerable. If you need to use the cane sometimes as you strengthen your gait that's okay. It can be very much a gradual process.

Shine Your Bright Light
Littlepaw is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
BioBased (01-21-2016), birchlake (01-21-2016), mama mac (01-21-2016), RSD ME (01-21-2016), St George 2013 (01-21-2016), swimtime (01-20-2016), visioniosiv (01-21-2016), zinnia (01-20-2016)