Thread: discouraged
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2016, 11:41 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

To prevent an abnormal gait is one of many reasons I use a rollator (4 wheeled walked). I got one made for short people as I am only 5 ft tall and it has been a lifesaver in so many ways but the fact that it allows me to take weight off my left (RSD) leg but still walk normally has saved the rest of my body from a lot of grief which quiite frankly I just can't handle. It takes every ounce of everything I have to deal with the RSD and still maintain a somewhat normal life...I simply cannot handle any additional problems (as I am discovering with how completely incapacitated I am with my shoulder injury...ugh). The rollator keeps me upright, walking normally, and takes a ton of weight off the leg...plus I have a seat wherever I go when I need a rest...no having to push myself to go just a little longer so I can find a place to sit. Plus...it holds things for me so I don't have to try to carry anything. Plus...it keeps people away from me in crowds so I don't get bumped into. Plus...it keeps me from falling when I lose my balance. It's not a solution for everyone...but I always like to throw it out there as an option because even though I have a can and can use it...it is much harder on me and much more limiting than the rollator...which a lot of people are usually surprised to hear. The rollator is bigger and bulkier...but for me the quality of life is so much better with it. But back to my earlier point...an abnormal gait messes your body up big time and it is worth it to do whatever you need to so you can get back a normal gait and take any extra stress off your body. There's only so much a person can take before they hit the breaking point...
catra121 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
mama mac (01-21-2016), RSD ME (01-21-2016), St George 2013 (01-21-2016), zinnia (01-21-2016)