View Single Post
Old 01-21-2016, 10:56 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Actually:

1. There are plenty of people who undergo the DIY method of enema. You can easily search the web for many such cases. There are medical studies with patients being required to self-administer home FMTs via enema. For example, this one, with 100% success rate: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20117243. Some studies even include self-administered home enema as part of the continuing methodology, initially using a colonoscopy. There have been no recorded cases of infection and certainly not death.

2. There are multiple methods used for transplantation in clinical setting, the most common being colonoscopy and the second being nasoduodenal. I've read most or almost all the studies to date but haven't read a single one using the method you note, though it may have been the case. But it is certainly not the only one or in any way the most common. See here, for example:http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/gastr...lantation.html.

3. FMT has been successfully studied in both Ulcerative Colitis and C dif., and from what I've heard out of Europe studies are being conducted or will be for other IBDs. You can Google and find many clinical studies.

4. The statement "messing with gut bacteria would not address it [i.e., an autoimmune issue]" has no evidence to support it, and in fact seems to fly in the face of the fact that 70% or so, as they say, of our immune system is in the gut. For my part, I just don't know, maybe it will, maybe it won't. I have no evidence in either direction, but I will note that so far it has reversed immune and/or inflammatory issues relating to the gut directly with astronomically positive results, 90% and higher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SylvieM View Post
Fecal transplants are not simple or a DIY project, unless you wish to risk infection or death. So far the only successful use of fecal transplants (of TESTED freeze-dried donor stool in an acid resistant capsule....which is swallowed)..is only for one specific bacterial infection. I've read it may hold promise for other disorders, such as Parkinson's Disease, but the mechanisms are now unknown.

As far as I can tell you are not yet diagnosed with an immunological disorder, and if you were, messing with gut bacteria would not address it. Testing is a time-consuming process....but necessary to determine whether autoimmune disease may underly your neuropathy.

Last edited by DavidHC; 01-21-2016 at 11:12 PM.
DavidHC is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Equine Dentist (01-29-2016)