View Single Post
Old 01-22-2016, 07:23 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHC View Post
Actually:

1. There are plenty of people who undergo the DIY method of enema. You can easily search the web for many such cases. There are medical studies with patients being required to self-administer home FMTs via enema. For example, this one, with 100% success rate: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20117243. Some studies even include self-administered home enema as part of the continuing methodology, initially using a colonoscopy. There have been no recorded cases of infection and certainly not death.

2. There are multiple methods used for transplantation in clinical setting, the most common being colonoscopy and the second being nasoduodenal. I've read most or almost all the studies to date but haven't read a single one using the method you note, though it may have been the case. But it is certainly not the only one or in any way the most common. See here, for example:http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/gastr...lantation.html.

3. FMT has been successfully studied in both Ulcerative Colitis and C dif., and from what I've heard out of Europe studies are being conducted or will be for other IBDs. You can Google and find many clinical studies.

4. The statement "messing with gut bacteria would not address it [i.e., an autoimmune issue]" has no evidence to support it, and in fact seems to fly in the face of the fact that 70% or so, as they say, of our immune system is in the gut. For my part, I just don't know, maybe it will, maybe it won't. I have no evidence in either direction, but I will note that so far it has reversed immune and/or inflammatory issues relating to the gut directly with astronomically positive results, 90% and higher.

Hi,

You cite studies where, as I note, it is used only for a specific bacterial infection: clostrodium difficile (CDI), which can range from causing diarrhea to a bacterial colitis (different than an autoimmune ulcerative colitis). It has been used experimentally for the latter, and other conditions as well. There are as yet no good data to support positive outcomes in experimental runs, though as I said, it may be promising. In any event, a donor must be tested to ensure they are not a carriers that may harm a recipient. Two deaths I read about were in a single, controlled study reported by ScienceDaily. I have read of others.

I know you wish to find effective treatment for your PN, as we all do, but I'll mention again, it is really necessary to know what you are dealing with. I again encourage you to find out if you have an underlying autoimmune disorder. You may then be able consider treatment s that are known to be effective for it, like IVIG.

My statement about "messing up the gut" comes from respect for its complexity and clear importance in health.
SylvieM is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
zkrp01 (01-22-2016)