View Single Post
Old 01-23-2016, 07:00 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Angels,

If the roots of the extracted teeth are still in the bone and/or they moved or were pushed up into the sinus during the extraction, then that could explain a chronic infection that antibiotics are not able to cure.

Retained roots from extracted teeth need to be surgically removed. The type of the surgery depends on their location but they are generally retrieved from an entry of the oral cavity. Most often an oral surgeon will perform this surgery. However, if there is extensive damage, infection or other sinus complications have arose, then the os and an ENT will frequently collaborate on the surgery.

Your oral surgeon needs to inform you if the roots are still retained and if so, where are they exactly.

Root canaled teeth have so many things wrong with them and so many possible complications can arise when these teeth are not extracted before they become badly infected. Sometimes the rc tooth is so ridden with bacteria that the roots separate from the rest of the tooth due to deterioration or decay. When that occurs, it may nor may not be clearly evident on the dental xray. In those cases, the dentist only becomes aware of the problem when he goes in to extract the tooth and there's no root or roots attached to the tooth. Sometimes in attempting to retrieve the infected roots, they end up getting pushed up further into the bone or the sinus. It's hard to retrieve roots from the jaw bone that are mushy and decayed as they just keep breaking apart.

I don't know what is going on in your particular case but it is imperative that the oral surgeon explain in detail what is going on and offer you some options as to what to do about it.

I'm sorry you are going through this. I hope you can see the os on monday and get some answers.

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angels31 View Post
Aha, maybe that is my problem! This sinus problem is not going away. If the roots were infected and they are still there couldn't that be it? There is no reason for this to hang on. Also, if there are roots left in there, how do you get them out? Is this an involved procedure? Is it performed by an oral surgeon?
Thank you for your help, I am very unsettled right now and I really appreciate your posts! Also, this makes sense with the roots because when I move my head certain ways I get a nerve twinge in the area where the teeth were removed. Also, when I do my sinus wash it happens also, in fact after I do the sinus wash that area will hurt and bother me for a while. I still feel like I did before the teeth were taken out.like I have an infection.

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote