View Single Post
Old 01-24-2016, 12:04 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Angels,

Ironically, the endodontist is a strong promoter of root canal therapy which is the very thing that has contributed to the severity of your infection. Is this the same endodontist that did both root canals on 14 and 15? Did he also do the root canals on the other two upper teeth that resulted in a sinus infection? How long ago was the problem with the other side and what transpired during that situation? Was that sinus infection ever completely resolved?

By any chance has this endodontist and the oral surgeon that he referred you to communicated with each other about your case?

I think it would be wise to insist and expect the oral surgeon, the endodontist and the ENT doctor to confer on your case. If they are reluctant to do that, then something is weird because these discussions are done routinely especially in cases such as yours. It would be difficult to try and find another oral surgeon, etc to take on your case at this stage because it's complicated and no one really wants to end up being wrongly blamed for what someone else did or didn't do. So you have to try to get these guys to collaborate with each other.

I know you are suffering with this infection and I know the stress of all of this is becoming unbearable. However, before you jump out the window, you have to be truthfully informed of the status of the situation. Are there retained roots of #14 and/or #15, is so why and where are they?.... Is there still an apical lesion in the sinus from prior to the extraction of #14, if so why wasn't it removed?.... Is the bone graft causing further problems, if so should it be removed immediately and how involved will that be? These are the pertinent things you need to be informed about so that you know what is worrisome and what isn't. Those 3 doctors need to collaborate on your case, figure out what is going on and then truthfully inform you of whatever that is. Otherwise, you will keep stressing about possibilities and making assumptions that may or may not have any relevance.

I really cannot stress enough that before you try to get other dentists involved, those 3 practitioners need to collaborate. In most cases, it is the oral surgeon who ends up being the one who presents the outcome of that collaboration and treatment options to you.

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angels31 View Post
The bad news is the oral surgeon is out of town until Feb 2nd. I have already gone back twice and he said nothing is wrong. He did an X-ray but I can't remember if he did the CT scan around my head. I know he did it after he removed both teeth though. How come he couldn't see the roots? I am trying to get a hold of the Endodontist that has so desperately tried to help me through this whole thing. He seems to be the only one who cares. He also referred me to the oral surgeon. I am wondering if I should go to a different oral surgeon? What do you think? I am suffering terribly with this sinus thing and to think of going another week with it is killing me. Also, I was just reading that leaving root remnants can cause heart problems. Also, what happens if the reason he left the roots are because it is too close to sinus or a nerve? Will someone be able to successfully get them out without damaging my sinus or nerve? This whole thing makes me nervous!

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote